The Renovation Plan
1. It includes the Earth Store Hall (3,500 square feet), North Hall (4,000 square feet)
and a mid-hall (2,000 square feet).
A. Earth Store Hall
(1) It can be used as an overflow space for the Buddha Hall whenever there is a large
(2) It also can be used for recitation of the Avatamsaka Sutra in different languages.
(3) During the Chan session, it can be used exclusively for senior meditators.
B. North Hall
(1) It can be used as a Meditation Hall for the public at certain hours each day as well as
Meditation Hall during the Chan Sessions.
(2) It can occasionally be used as a lecture hall when the needs arise.
(1) It can be an overflow space for the main hall and Multi-purpose Hall.
(2) It can also be used as a small lecture hall, conference room, and classroom for
meditation, Tai ji, or Yoga.
(3) It will serve as a lobby and Art Exhibition Hall.
2. The design should be simple, elegant, peaceful, serene, conducive for spiritual practices
and cost effective.
(1) It will use natural lights as much as possible and low maintenance materials.
(2) Radiant floor heating will be used in winter time due to the very high ceiling.
(3) Good acoustics for chanting is important, so the renovation would aim at noise
reduction and echo suppression.
(4) The Earth Store Hall has a higher elevation than that of the Buddha Hall, hence,
there will be a new stairway between the two halls as well as a wheelchair access
for the handicapped.